Old Town Moore

Moore was founded during the land-run of 1889. The early settlers came on train, horseback, wagons, and some, on foot. According to local historians, the town's original name was "Verbeck" as designated by the railroad company. However, a railroad employee named Al Moore, reported to be either a conductor or a brakeman, lived in a boxcar at the camp and had difficulty receiving his mail. He painted his name - "Moore" - on a board and nailed it on the boxcar. When a postmaster was appointed, he continued to call the settlement Moore. When the town incorporated in 1893 the name was legalized. The original town site comprised a small area bounded by the present NE 3rd Street on the north and SE 4th Street on the south; the eastern limit was situated about one and a half blocks east of the railroad and the western edge about two and a half blocks west of the railroad. The original town site became known as Old Town. Thus the name Old Town. While the name is the same, the downtown we have now is much different than a hundred years ago.

Old Town,  downtown Moore, is undergoing a revitalization. Both public and private dollars are being invested in Old Town. We intend to use this portion of the website to keep you,the citizens, informed about what is going on in Old Town and the improvements being made to make the Old Town district a destination for citizen and visitor alike.

Moore Old School

The Moore Old School was once the home to all the grades of Moore Public Schools.  The Old School now serves as a meeting space, event center and office building for several local businesses.  At the heart of the City the Old School helps connects us to our past and continues to help grow the city into the future. 

www.oldschoolmoore.com Read More » about Moore Old School